This film has been inspired by the short plays of the eccentric Count Jan Potocki, author of the famous novel Manuscrit trouvé à Saragosse. Completed at the beginning of the 19th century, it was turned into a cult movie by Wojciech Jerzy Has. Earlier, at the end of the 18th century, Potocki had written a series of short humorous plays (Recueil de Parades) which he staged in a court theater in Łańcut, Poland. Miraculously, this theater survived several wars and two partitions of Poland unscathed and can now be seen as part of the Museum at the Castle of Łańcut. Together with the building and its interior, a few complete sets of stage decorations survived. These beautiful, original sets have been used in the film in order to create the inimitable atmosphere of an authentic late 18th century spectacle.
THEATRUM MAGICUM tells the story of a magic show performed at the end of the 18th century by a magician and his troupe. The magician’s persona is modeled after Cassandre, the protagonist of Jan Poptocki’s plays, but also resembles Georges Méliès as a character in his own films, and Baron Münchhausen (both from movies and Gustave Doré’s illustrations).
The film has been inspired by the short plays of the eccentric Count Jan Potocki, author of the famous novel Manuscrit trouvé à Saragosse. It tells the story of a magic show performed at the end of the 18th century by a magician and his troupe.
- RUNNING TIME:
- Marcin Giżycki
- Marcin Giżycki
- Zbigniew Kotecki
- Sławomir Szudrowicz, Kordian Lewandowski
- Fundacja Kultury Rozruch, Black Dwarf Production
- 37th Black Maria Film Festival 2018, USA, (Jury’s Choice Award)
- Festival Internacional de Cine Santa Cruz, Argentina, 2017 (Best Experimental Short Film)
- Flickers’ International Rhode Island Film Festival, USA, 2017 (competition)
- Action on Film Festival, USA, 2017 (Silver Sava for Best Short, Silver Sava for Best Cinematography)
- The Budapest Short International Film Festival, Hungary, 2017 (competition)
- Blue Danube Film Festival, Hungary, 2017 (competition)
- Short Long World Festival, Argentina, 2017 (Jury Honor Mention)
- 2nd Sacramento Underground Film & Arts Festival, USA, 2017 (competition)
- Cinalfama Lisbon International Film Awards, Portugal, 2018 (competition)
- Findecoin - International Short Film Independent Festival, Venezuela, 2018 (competition)
- Festival Internacional De Cine Del Imperio Inca Lima, Peru, 2018 (competition)
- 2nd Best Fiction Film Festival, USA, 2018 (Audience Award, Special Mention)
- 12th River Film Festival, Italy, 2018 (competition)
- Marin County International Festival of Short Film & Video, USA, 2018 (competition)